Welcome to the TD/Affiliate area for ChessNoteR. This area was designed for TD’s and Affiliates so we can keep you informed of our products. This will include the security we have implemented and how to verify the ChessNoteR device is registered to each player.
Our hope as a software company is to create software as a solution for all things chess. Since we are not in the hardware business we have re-purposed easy to find hardware to deliver our software to players. Hopefully after looking over this documentation you will see the value in our easy to use software which also includes extensive security. ChessNoteR creates a PGN of the players moves along with a more legible scoresheet, which can be signed electronically by both players. The scoresheet can be exported in a PDF format. These features allow your tournaments to be run almost 100% paper free.
If there are controls or features that TD’s or Affiliates would like us to add, we are open to suggestions. Please feel free to contact us at the email address located on the left hand side of this page.
How to verify a ChessNoteR device
We have created a 3-factor authentication on each device so TD’s and Affiliate’s know that the device is registered to the player using it.
– There is a tamper-proof sticker on the back of each device with a serial number and QR code. NOTE: All serial numbers start with a letter separated by a dash and are followed by 5 digits i.e. A-00001.
– Inside the application under the ChessNoteR application menu there is a serial number option which will list the the date purchased, user name (as listed on US Chess), US Chess ID, FIDE ID (if applicable), and serial number that appears on the sticker. There is also a QR code which can be scanned.
– Finally, if the QR code is scanned it will pull up a web page from the ChessNoteR website showing the same information under the serial number option. This will list the the date purchased, user name (as listed on US Chess), US Chess ID, FIDE ID (if applicable), serial number that appears on the sticker and inside the application. NOTE: If do you not have a mobile device with QR code software you can simply go to our website and type in the serial number after the domain name (i.e. http://www.chessnoter.com/a-00018).
Here is a short video on how to verify a device:
Pictures of the ChessNoteR device
Front of Device
Back of Device
Internal ChessNoteR device security
- Disabled Developer Options – The Developer Options are built into the Android operating system by default. This features normally allows users to access the Android’s file system through the Android Debugging tool ADB. We have disabled Developer Options so users do not have access to “enabling OEM Unlock”. Due to this, users cannot unlock the bootloader to modify the file system or gain access to the system through the ADB tool.
- Disabled 3rd Party installer – 3rd party installer is a normal option in the Android operating system, which offers users the ability to install custom applications onto the Android operating system. Since this option is disabled users cannot install any software onto our device.
- Disabled Hardware – We have disabled all unnecessary hardware in the device. Therefore, when a Motorola Nexus 6 is reloaded with our software it no longer functions as a cell phone but can only be used strictly as an electronic notation device. Here is a list of the hardware that has been disabled from the kernel and software level: Cell Radio (so SIM cards for cell phones will not work), Front and Rear Camera, Camera light, Audio, NFC (Near Field Communicator), Bluetooth, Gyroscope, and GPS. NOTE: The volume rockers have been reconfigured to change the brightness on the device for higher or lower levels.
- Disabled Software – We have disabled all unnecessary software on the device. Therefore, when a Motorola Nexus 6 is reloaded with our software it no longer functions as a cell phone but can only be used strictly as an electronic notation device. Here is a list of the software that has been removed from the operating system: Google Play Store, Calculator, Browser, Calendar, Contacts, Messenger (MMS/Text), Mail, Camera, Gallery, and Music.